Thursday, November 5, 2015

Parallels between The X Files and Supernatural

Stating the Obvious

Alright, let me first say that some of the similarities between the two shows had to have been intentional.  By the time I finished watching the first episode of Supernatural I was thinking to myself, "This is The X Files, only with ghosts instead of aliens."  It could not have been an accident that I was thinking that.  However, I've decided to have a little fun and find parallels between the two that may not have been intentional, but they are there nonetheless.

Sam and Dean are Mulder and Scully


 
 
Nothing like starting with the obvious.  This one has even been joked about on Supernatural.  Like Mulder and Scully, Sam and Dean travel around the country investigating the paranormal.  Of course the question of which one is Mulder and which one is Scully remains unanswered.
 
 
Mary Winchester is Samantha Mulder
 

 
 
Agent Mulder's sister disappeared when he was twelve years old.  He is convinced that she was taken by aliens, and that the government is somehow involved, and this belief drives his quest to find the truth.  Mary Winchester was killed when Sam and Dean were children.  The entire first season of Supernatural centers on their search for the mysterious entity responsible for her death.
 
 
John Winchester is A.D. Skinner
 

 
 
Okay, I may be reaching a little with this one, but stay with me.  John Winchester is Sam and Dean's father.  Skinner is Mulder and Scully's boss.  In the first season of the show, John is constantly giving Sam and Dean instructions for cases he wants them to investigate.  As Mulder and Scully's boss, Skinner is the one who sends them out on assignments.  A good bit of the drama in the first season of Supernatural stems from Sam and Dean's relationship with their father.  Dean has nothing but respect, but Sam is full of anger.  Mulder and Scully constantly alternate between having respect for Skinner and questioning his every move.
 
Castiel is Deep Throat/Mr. X
 



This probably applies more to Castiel when he first came on the show than it does to his character now.  Like Deep Throat and Mr. X on The X Files, Castiel, in the beginning, was a mysterious character who worked for the men in charge, but who had a soft spot for Sam and Dean and tried to help them as much as possible.  I don't think I need to say anything else about it.

Crowley is the Cigarette Smoking Man



He's the villain.  Need I say more?

Bobby is the Lone Gunman



Okay, really reaching on this one, but there are similarities here.  Like the Lone Gunman were to Mulder and Scully, Bobby is someone whom Sam and Dean trust.  He has access to information that often turns out to be the key to solving the mystery, and he is also a good friend.

What do you think?  Do you agree with my assessment of these two shows?  Have you spotted parallels that I've missed?  I'd love to read about it in the comments.



Don't forget to follow me on Twitter for updates on this blog and all of my other projects.  Also, please check out my paranormal mystery, Amelia's Children, on Amazon.com.





No comments:

Post a Comment