Friday, August 14, 2015

What Kind of Supernatural Fan Are You?

Two Kinds of Fans

No, I am not asking whether you prefer Sam or Dean, though that is a valid way to categorize Supernatural fans.  But when I look at people's comments online and read people's blogs about the show, I see another organizational system emerging.  I have come to group fans by which season they like the best.

Based on my observations, I have come to the conclusion that Supernatural fans basically fall into two broad categories: those who say seasons one and two are their favorite seasons, and those who prefer seasons four and five.  Yes, I know, a true fan loves every season of the show, but which one is your favorite?  I'm sure you have one.  And I'd be willing to bet you would choose one of the four that I've just mentioned.

Why do these seem to be the favorites?

If you are a fan of the show, I don't think I need to explain to you how truly powerful season two was.  And I personally tend to lump season one with it because the two seasons together basically formed one story that culminated in...well, I won't spoil it for anyone who may not have watched it yet.  Season three, for me at least, seemed to be a bit of a letdown after the spectacular ending of season two.  But of course, that's just my opinion.

And then came season four, and the beginning of a whole new story arc.  Okay, technically it was a continuation of the events set in motion in the very first episode, but if you watch the show you know that a lot changed in season four.  The mood was different.  The consequences of Sam and Dean's actions were on a much larger scale.  The survival of the very world was at stake.  This continued until the end of season five, after which the show went into a couple of awkward seasons where the writers seemed to be trying to figure out where to go next.  After all, where do you go after you've just saved the world from...oh yeah, I promised no spoilers.

Which one is my favorite?

I have to say that I will always prefer seasons one and two.  Why?  The first reason is that I'm a horror movie buff, and I was attracted to a TV show that was based on my favorite genre.  This was something that made Supernatural somewhat unique in the beginning.  Do you remember how spooky the episodes were back then?  There was a creep factor there that just doesn't seem to be present in the show anymore.  Starting with season four, the show began incorporating more fantasy elements into the plotline, and leaving some of the horror behind.  I think this was probably necessary.  After all, how many times could Sam and Dean clean a haunted house before that story started getting old?  And don't get me wrong, I like the more recent seasons too.  I enjoy fantasy from time to time.  After all, who doesn't want to cheer for their team in the epic battle between good and evil?  But if given the choice, I'll take creepy over action packed any day.

The second reason I prefer seasons one and two is that I am a stickler for consistency, and the first two seasons of Supernatural followed very logically on one another.  The story arc never took any odd twists that made me stop and ask, "What a minute...what about (fill in the blank here)."  Season four, in my opinion, seemed to take the story in a direction that it had not intended to go in the beginning.  Again, no spoilers, but think about Sam and his psychic abilities.  Think about how the nature of those abilities changed in season four.  Now, you can argue that it was all due to the events at the end of season two.  Those events changed things for Sam and so afterward he needed to...oops, that would be a spoiler.  But anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I didn't buy it.  Where Sam ended up at the end of season five just did not seem to be where he was supposed to be going in seasons one and two.  But again, that's just my opinion.

Please remember, of course, what I said in the beginning about real Supernatural fans.  I am a real fan, and so I have loved all seasons.  I just have a special place in my heart for those early episodes.

And you?

So what are you?  Are you a seasons one and two fan, or a seasons four and five fan?  Or do you fit my categories at all?  Maybe you prefer seasons eight and nine.  Feel free to leave a comment and let me know if you agree or disagree with my analysis of this great series.  Just remember to keep it positive.  We fans have got to stick together!


Don't forget to follow me on Twitter if you want updates about this blog.  Also, check out my paranormal mystery, Amelia's Children, now available on Amazon Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment